When Biconomy announced that it had integrated with Chainlink in February 2021, it signified one thing above all — the commitment to create a far more robust ecosystem in Web3 by collaborating with established blockchain projects.
The organization further enhanced the security and useability of the platform for dApp users to sign transactions, after it became an early adopter of Ethereum Improvement Proposal (EIP)-712. Today, Biconomy is growing rapidly, while making blockchain interactions simpler and improving user experiences for the ecosystem.
But the company had its fair share of challenges in user onboarding before it arrived here today.
Biconomy’s Head of Growth Rohan Garg said, “To onboard non-crypto natives, we need solutions to help users interact with dApps easily. The next billion users will not want to memorize seed phrases or manage private keys, or study blockchain technology. They simply want functionality.”
At one point, the user onboarding at Biconomy relied heavily on a user’s knowledge and understanding of the Blockchain technology and wallet management.
Users needed to have a wallet like MetaMask and be familiar with concepts like private and public keys, seed phrases among others. This added complexity to the onboarding process and posed a barrier to lesser tech-savvy users and first-time blockchain users.
Rohan Garg outlines a few pain points in user onboarding before they integrated with Web3Auth:
- Complexity — The onboarding process required users to have a solid understanding of blockchain technology and wallet management. Users needed to be familiar with private keys, public keys, and seed phrases, which could be overwhelming for newcomers or less tech-savvy individuals.
- Dependency on external wallets — Users needed to have a wallet like MetaMask, which might have been an extra step for those who didn’t already possess one. This dependency increased friction in the onboarding process.
- Security concerns — The responsibility of managing private keys and seed phrases added a layer of potential security risks for users, particularly for those who may not have been well-versed in secure key storage practices.
- Limited accessibility — The requirement of understanding complex blockchain concepts and wallet management limits partner dApps’ accessibility. This potentially excludes a significant portion of users who could benefit from Biconomy’s UX and infra services.
- Lengthy onboarding process — The combination of complexities, wallet requirements, and the need to educate users on key management made the onboarding process longer and more difficult than necessary, potentially deterring potential users from completing the process.
Rohan further added, “We came across Web3Auth while exploring different solutions for improving user onboarding. We were impressed with Web3Auth’s potential to simplify the process and its easy integration with the Biconomy SDK.”
By integrating Web3Auth, Biconomy was able to address these pain points, further simplifying the onboarding process, increasing accessibility, and improving overall user experience. The onboarding process became more accessible to a broader range of users. By allowing social logins, users can quickly and easily connect to the platform using familiar authentication.
This made the onboarding experience smoother and more user-friendly, lowering the barrier to entry for newcomers to the blockchain space.
“We are super happy with Web3Auth’s products and services. Social login forms an integral part of our SDK offerings, it is being used by at least 25% of all our users. Wallet creation using Web3Auth is super smooth and secure.”
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
- What is a social login?
Social login is a type of single sign-on using existing login information from a social networking service such as Facebook, Twitter, Google, or LinkedIn to sign into a third-party website instead of creating a new login account specifically for that website. Web3Auth offers a safe, secure and reliable wallet-as-a-service (WaaS) infrastructure for wallets and dApps to empower both web2 and web3 users to use their social logins and authentication themselves on Web3, instead of having to use complex seedphrases.
- What does Biconomy do?
Biconomy is a web3-based blockchain tech company that aims to simplify the user experience associated in blockchain transactions. Their key product is a relayer infrastructure network and transaction platform that provides developers with the tools to enable a simplified and optimized blockchain experience for end users.
- What is a gas-less transaction and how does Biconomy support it?
Blockchain transactions usually require users to pay a “gas fee” — the fee that’s paid to miners for the computational effort required to validate and record transactions on the blockchain. This can be confusing and off-putting for many users. Biconomy allows developers to subsidize these fees so that end users can perform certain transactions without paying gas fees.